Social

Thursday, November 29, 2012

HATS: A NEW ROMANCE

This months obsession: hats. I'm walking, talking and making hats all day now.
Allow me to introduce you this weeks efforts...

Rescued-from-the-side-of-the-road-hat. It looked like a ball of dirty felt when I found it. I cleaned and restored it and added a Boy Scout Leader vintage leather band (also found). Completely Indiana Jones now. Judging by the oily crease at the front, this hat has seen some serious wear.


Remake-hat-project: Daggy-thrift-store wool felt hat I re-blocked (which is to reshape a hat with steam and wooden hat block).
I also reduced the brim and added a coffee-stained silk ribbon band.



 (before)


(after)


 Thrift store straw hat before.


And after being reshaped and found nylon cord band in place. Denise calls it my 'Brokeback hat'.

Although done last year, I should include this one here too- a nod to Rihnhart Plank. An old fedora with a reduced brim and destroyed crown. I used a blow torch and soldering iron. That's another Boy Scout hat band too.




Oh dear...need more room already!

Then there is the sewn hats to sell....


Wool newsboy cap.


Denim off-cut flat(or Ivy/Bocce/Dai/Golf) caps. 


Combat canvas caps too...



Next week I will actually be making the felt to make a hat with- wet felting. It should be fun as I have never felted before. I did say it was an obsession!

How is your obsession?