Social

Friday, June 22, 2012

ROME IN A DAY

Paris two thousand years ago was called Lutèce and the Romans, being Roman, built an arena for cool events like gladiator fights.  This is Arènes de Lutèce in the middle of Paris and a handful of blocks away from our apartment.


In between having some of the best pastries in the world, stunning food from our new local restaurant and sipping Champagne from the balcony overlooking the Eiffel Tower (I know, I know!) we are actually getting out to see some sights. 

This once beautiful arena was forgotten and buried for several hundred years. In fact Victor Hugo (the writer of The Hunchback of Notre Dame) was responsible for helping to restore Notre Dame and this place too. 
In it's hay-day, the 1st Century AD, it sat 15,000 people. Now it is a little forgotten Parisien attraction but a great example of fine Roman style and building. 


 Staying close to home and investigating our arrondissement (area) is our policy at the moment. It is too easy to get burnt-out from seeing to much. Already it is hard to not eat too much as we are finding the food plentiful and cheap. Plentiful and cheap and delicious is a wicked combination. I put on several kilos last time I was here so I know how I tend to overindulge!


 A brisk morning walk here was a great start to the day before coffee. The place was deserted with a cool breeze blowing through. The city was quiet and a few birds flew around giving movement to this ancient place.


Although I have been to Paris five times before this is the first time here. Funny how you tend to skip things but this time I am determined to see what I missed before. Having time in one city helps.





Enough history for now. Show me the baguette au frommage et vin blanc!
Vive la France! Vive la gateau!