Social

Saturday, June 9, 2012

CHAIRS. NO REALLY.

Anyone that has followed this blog for more than a week will know that I will turn my hand to pretty much anything. So you may not be surprised that I have made furniture at some stage in my life. 
I may not have been given much at birth or been graced with a high I.Q. or mathematical skill but one thing I do have is the willingness to create out of whatever is in front of me.


Over ten years ago I lived with a guy who made timber furniture. I saw how much was wasted and decided to start creating some pieces out of his scrap timber. 


These chairs are part of what I made at that time- I did sell a few pieces which was encouraging. I still use these chairs today and I think they are pretty well made. 
One other thing nature gave me was the ability to focus intensely on the task at hand and learn all I could.


And being me, I did this for a short period of time before moving on to something else. I can't even remember what I got into next but when I look at these chairs I do wish I had the space to continue making furniture.



I think the principles are the same for anything you make. Learn, design, sketch, plan and then make. Proportions are important. Materials should be sustainable or ethically sourced and the end product should be well made and durable. No point making something if it falls apart or does not look good. A coat or a chair should be comfortable, pleasing to the eye and built to last.


So ten years later I finally got around to photographing them. Ten years! 

These chairs are all made with Camphor Laurel (Cinnamomum camphora). This massive trees are considered a noxious weed in parts of Australia and the 'States, (Queensland, North New South Wales and Florida) so it is a perfect and cheap source of timber when I was living in Byron Bay. 

On a side note, my next post will possibly be from Hong Kong or perhaps Paris. We will be going on the 'Grand Tour' next week. Paris and Berlin here we come!!!