Social

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Tailors Apprentice Part Two



Finished off the muslin for tailored pants this week. In-seam and lapped pockets were a chore.
 Following the recommendations for the pattern produced pants with a classic 1975 fit using How Make Men's Clothes by Jane Rhinehart. 


Now, I can't say I actually love them. There is plenty of room for improvement in the pattern. (drop that waist!) Good learning experience. 
The book was great for creating the pattern but her construction explanations left plenty to be desired. I think instructions have changed a great deal over thirty five years. Long, convoluted sentences with tiny illustrations have been replaced by clear explanations and detailed photos. Thank goodness!


When I realized I couldn't follow her instructions I went with what seemed right. 
How are you with instructions? Find it easier to work it out yourself?