Social

Monday, April 19, 2010

Faux By Any Other Name

faux-bone, copper and silver ring

My latest projects in jewellery has revolved around the use of Faux-Bone. This is a pretty interesting material. It can be cut with a jewellers saw, filed, drilled, nailed, screwed, painted or stained and can be heated and bent into shape.

faux-bone, copper and silver rings

Although that sounds all faboulous and stuff, I still have reservations about using this material. I'm not to sure if I like this new stuff. I mean, I tried to like it, tried to embrace new materials but I find it hard to love unlike a found object. It's pretty much just a manufactured piece of polypropohydrocloride (I made that up) so there is no 'inbuilt' beauty.
Although that's where the artists skills come in transforming materials into something wonderful.


 Faux-bone and silver pendant inspired by Robrt Dancik


 Faux-bone pendant on trapeze-syle hanger

There is no 'romance' in our relationship, faux-bone. I'm sorry, it's not me, it's you. 
Don't call me- I'll order you.

 Have you used faux-bone? What do you think about it? Are there better substitutes for real bone?
 X