Social

Monday, March 29, 2010

Making Jewellery with urbandon


In this post I wanted to show you how I created some of the jewellery I did last week. 
Take some tin from an old chocolate or biscuit tin. This one was $1.00. This one had a nice embossed look and cut easily with lightweight snips. Of course the edges need to be cleaned up with a file and the pieces hammered flat. Sticking eyelets in the holes finishes them off.

Using these pieces as a 'backdrop' to some other found and assembled elements, it was possible to create these brooch pins.


Using jump-ring (pre-made is OK for beginners like myself, although hand made jump-rings look superior) it's just a matter of hooking up the charms.


The charms themselves consist of found washers, hollow bits of metal, buttons, beads, springs, etched metal, milagros and other charms.


The main composition I had intended to create was an asymetrical triangle in the depth and length of the pieces.

These are simple and fun to make. Just make sure you start with a nice big box of 'What-the-hell-am-I-going-to-do-with that?' bits.

Yes, these have a masculine 'feel' to them- which I hope is my point of difference and made with the intention of wearing them myself- with my Victorian-inspired coat and bowler hat.


Although the above photos don't really 'cut it' (didn't work) for product shots I think I 'cracked it' (worked) on the one below. Just with some nice reflective sunlight, careful exposure, macro setting and a white canvas board base it is possible to get a 'killer' (exceptional) shot. This is a men's wrist cuff made from etched brass and vintage leather belt with a primative-syle closure.


Hope you have a great week and thank you all for the wonderful comments.
X