Social

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Art and Science


Finally. My junk and art in storage is back. Mountains of old paintings, books, sculpture tools, soapstone, canvases, timber scraps and treasured finds. Like long lost friends we play and reminisce.
I fondly look at my paintings.


And then put them on Etsy!
Goodbye. (please)
There is just not enough room in here. Assemblage bits are in assembled mountains. Paintings are three deep all around me. Electronic components spring to life while crashing down on me from shoe boxes. This has to end. I'm selling all my old paintings!


The Science Part

I have been enjoying stimulating discussion on the meaning of life at the Edge website.
Each year they invite the greatest minds in psychiatry, biology, AI and other sciences to answer questions of importance for all humanity. All the big names contribute, like Paul Davis and Richard Dawkins. The group comes together under whats called the third culture. (The new public intellectuals)

"The third culture consists of those scientists and other thinkers in the empirical world who, through their work and expository writing, are taking the place of the traditional intellectual in rendering visible the deeper meanings of our lives, redefining who and what we are."

Besides besides being a great read I have added a few words to my vocabulary. Are you familiar with the following words?

picayune
neologism
asymptote
stochastic
promissory
egregious
aphorism
metonymy
chronocentrism

Enjoy!