Social

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Time Machine Voyage. Back Soon.


I have been working on a little project this past month or so. The plan has been to create a time machine. Since I was a kid I have been fascinated with the idea of time travel. The idea of traveling to different periods in time or different parts of the universe
appealed to this suburban day dreamer.

Most of my other time machines have been straight up Steampunk style, but I wanted this one to be a bit different.

In building this one I was thinking that maybe the assembled parts would come from different periods in time. Kinda like a mash-up of styles from building and modifying components with available technology.



Here you can see the basic frame, made of plastics, spray painted black. The battery packs are visible. This has taken me hours to get to this stage. I have three motors and on L.E.D. all on separate switches.


Dusting of grey paint. I'm thinking of going 'metallic' at this stage.


I end up changing the central gearing system, changing it for another one that fits and adding the solar-system disk.

Then I just go all-out on the piece and the metal components replace plastic. It's starting to look a bit mixed period. This week I should focus on the wiring again and get the electronic side completed.


The main frame is built on plastic electronic kits. Attached are geared motors that drive the planetarium disk and time displays. The central section will house another geared disk. At the moment it takes 6 AA batteries, but eventually it will be solar powered from my 9V solar panel.

Aiming to get this finished this month. Then I can take some video of the whole thing in action before I disappear off to another time. Thinking about whipping down to Victorian England and then pop over to 2020 New York.

When I return I have this robotic dolls head to continue on with.


Thanks for stopping by and...
Enjoy your week!