Social

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Life Blog





What an interesting week it has been.
My last day at work before Easter holiday found me in hospital with what I thought was a heart attack. No kidding. I suddenly had a massive pain in my chest which doubled me over. My 1st aid officer colleagues called an ambulance and off I went to hospital.
Tests indicated, after a few hours of monitoring, that I was OK and not suffered anything serious. The cause was unknown. Freaky!

I created a 'bucket-list' last year when I found I had ITP and I've pretty much done most on that list. I don't want to die just yet but if I did I am prepared for it. My gravestone would say
'happy and lived without regret.'

So what makes me happy? In the past 24 hours I have experienced hundreds of joyful moments. But sometimes it's the simple things in life that make me smile. I guess that is what this post is about.

The image above is from down the street in Newtown, Sydney. I walk past it all the time. It makes me happy to see great street art. What else makes me happy? Lets see...


THE TABLE


My table is 'on the boil' with a few new characters taking shape. These little guys are going to have kind of a 50's sci-fi look to them. The 'rocket' on the left has been lost in space on my table for a while but now. I think it's found it's home amongst these junk robots. I love creating. I love making weird toys. I am happy to sell them.



ORCHIDS
My orchids are doing so well at the moment. The Oncidium 'Sharry Baby' is in full flower now with over 200 sweet-smelling flowers. There are more flowers to come so I may have four months of flowers off this plant. The strawberry-like smell fills my studio. They make me happy when I see and smell them because I have cared and loved them and I am rewarded. (Just like parenting but without the backchat)



DIGITAL PAINTING

It makes me happy to learn new things, refine techniques and discover new ways to express myself.
I have spent the last two weeks drawing characters from fantasy books almost every day. I set myself a plan to draw for a least half and hour a day. Most days I did an hour. Missed one day.It was all to lead me up to working back in digital again.

My toe-in-the-digital-water was colouring a two-minute self-portrait I did in pen on graph paper I did earlier in the year. I spent two minute 'painting' this in Photoshop. Does that make it a four minute self-portrait? Either way, I'm off to do some more digital painting. Or maybe I should get back to the 3D stuff? Choices choices!




This is a drawing.

Pencil drawing after digital colouring and redrawing.

The list of what makes me happy shall have to continue at another time. I have work to do!


Until next time.

May your God(s) be with you.